Monday, January 18, 2016

Winter


I wrote a post a few weeks before the official start of winter (to me winter begins December 1st but whatever) about how I was going to embrace winter this year instead of trudge through it with despair. Fast forward 29 days into winter and that post was never published and I am sulking in the fact it is indeed winter. Despite my whining, praying, and fighting winter still arrived. Just as it does every year.

In my defense the beginning of winter really set me up for major heartbreak. 70º and wearing shorts on Christmas? Park trips sans jacket and wind-chapped cheeks? Yes, please! That was a winter I could get on board with! But my summer-winter was short lived and here I sit looking at the weather and a string of 40º days and I'm filled with dread.

I know I should be thankful. Thankful that I don't live in one of the many parts of the country that sees single digits regularly and snow blankets their towns for much of winter. Where the sun rarely shines and if it isn't snowing it is raining. But I still hate the version of winter we get every year, I'm ungrateful like that.

However, now seems to be the time to finally crawl out of my winter-hating lair and finally embrace this current season. This is a season of colder weather, less sunlight, and adjustments. This is a season for our family of adjusting not only to the frigid temperatures but also to Daniel's new position at work. It is longer days at work for Daniel, less balance between work and family, and some growing pains.

A friend of mine reminded me that "there is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothes". Maybe there is no bad weather and no bad seasons of our lives. There is just inappropriate clothes and responses. Instead of wallowing in misery I am going to bundle up in my biggest coat, throw on a hat, and jump in head first. Join me in making the most of whatever season of life you are currently going through!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...