Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Outside the Frame


When of Suzanne of The Glorious Mundane emailed me and asked if I would be interested in joining her , Lisa of The Mother Blog, and Jen of Our Grand Life in their new link-up "Outside the Frame" I didn't hesitate to say yes. One thing I love about blogging and social media is the community of can provide, especially for moms! "Outside the Frame" is a bi-weekly series through 2016 that gives writing prompts to moms. You can eve participate ion Instagram! It is great way to create a more authentic community and see what other moms are going through! You can learn more about it here.

This week's topic is simply introducing yourself. Isn't introducing yourself always the hardest? "Tell me about yourself..." Always makes me cringe because I never feel like I can give an accurate representation of myself or know what the other person is really wanting from me. 

I'm a stay at home mom to my 1.5 year old daughter. Been married for 4.5 years. Live in a small town in Western NC. That's usually the basics that people are looking for. And in the south you typically also get asked what church you go to. I go to the Episcopal church in town, by the way. 

I feel like I'm reciting lines when I introduce myself. I feel like I am reducing all of my quirks, eccentricies, and flaws to a very flat, neat version of myself. 

Did you know I really love politics? Like still fantasize sometimes about getting involved. I know it is taboo to discuss politics with people but I love a good political discussion. You have differing opinions than me? Wonderful, I would love to hear more and see where we can find common ground! 

I was raised by my grandparents. Most likely this would eventually come up in conversation. Please don't give me that look. The one of pity and wondering exactly why I was raised by them. I have long moved past my abandonment issues and the grieving of the perfect, nuclear family. I'm making up for it with the family we've created. No worries. 

I am a very sensitive person. Like the Myers-Briggs personality test I am also as much feeling as you can be. I feel all of my emotions, very strongly. Yes say an extra prayer for my husband. Add that I also feel everyone else's emotions extra and it can make for a moody Brittany. My sensitivity is one of my greater strengths and biggest burdens. 

Should I keep it a little lighter? Hobbies... yeah hobbies... that's a good neutral topic that still somehow gives me mild heart palpitations. I've dreamed of being a girl with hobbies. That would make me so much more fascinating and maybe up my non-existent cool factor. I tried my hand at guitar, but my hands were literally too small. I used to say reading and might still tell you that, but even with the piles of books I'm collecting I rarely make the time to get through them. Prior to mom life, I love kayaking but it is very difficult to find the time now in days. 

My honest response would be Netflix, consuming massive amounts of coffee, and blogging. But I probably won't tell you about any of those things except maybe the coffee. Because I will probably have coffee in my mind and it will be hard to hide the fact that coffee is my life sustaining substance (better than cocaine, right?). I won't tell you about Netflix because as a mom I should be filling my free time with more noble pursuits that rewatching the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for the 3rd time. I won't tell you about my blog because then you might read it. I know counter-intuitive, right? I blog and people know it but I hate to talk about it. I hate people commenting on my writing. Blogging weird and I'm weird about it. So I won't tell you about it, even though I carry business with my blog information with me at all times. I'm contradictory and know it. 

Motherhood. I could spend forever discussing that side of me. But at the same time I couldn't. Everything I have to say about it feels so cliche and said before. "She makes me a better person", "It is harder and better than I could ever have dreamed of", "Times goes to quick". These are all true statements but who needs to say that again. I could tell you I've dreamed of being a mom since I was very young. I dreamed of having a daughter, I started a playlist for her when I was only 14. I could tell you that I've never wanted anything more than her. That after 2 miscarriages I appreciate every second with her a little more, but then feel guilty when I get frustrated or need a break because I wanted this and struggled to have it. 

I guess I could also tell you I'm a talker and maybe slightly long-winded. But I think you've probably already guessed that from this rather lengthy introduction. 

But instead of all this I will most likely simply tell you "Hi! I'm Brittany. I have an 1.5 year old daughter, Landry. Been married to my husband Daniel for 4.5 years. We live in Western NC. Nice to meet you!" 

2 comments:

  1. YES. Yes. Yes. Yes.
    I think we would truly get along really well!
    I can relate to so many things that you said above. So many things. Thanks for linking up, I'm so looking forward to getting to you know you better, especially through this link-up. You are a very talented communicator with your words, and I love your honestly about being a wife and mother!

    ReplyDelete

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...