Thursday, January 14, 2016

Minimalism

via Into Mind
If you had asked me 4 years ago if I would ever consider myself a minimalist I would have laughed. I was a maximalist. My sentimental heart wanted to hold on to every little thing that held a touch of a memory. Keeping the stuff would keep the memory, that moment in time frozen... right?

But here I sit, now more or less calling myself a minimalist. Daniel, Landry, and I are each regulated to one Rubbermaid container that houses our keepsakes. Buying clothes weekly is no longer the norm. I regularly gather up all the things from our house to be donated. 

Slowly I am learning that my happiness and my peace is not found in stuff. Don't get me wrong, you will still find purely decorative pieces in my house. I still own 5 pairs of TOMS classics which is probably a little unnecessary but they are my favorite shoes and I wear them religiously. I am not a bare minimum minimalist (redundant?). I am making minimalism work for me and my life and figuring out for our family. 

Also let it be known I am not preaching minimalism for the masses. I have found I am more at peace, more content, and more joyful when I have less stuff crowding my space. However, with the holidays in my rear view mirror I find myself thinking more about stuff. So much stuff was brought into our home because of our wonderful family who loves to show their love through gift-giving. I have found myself filling out my online shopping carts with things I "need". Yes, I leave the items just sitting there but I am cluttering up my mind. 

I want my mind to be more minimalistic. I want my mind free from the trappings of consumerism and acquiring goods. Instead I want to focus on being grateful for the here and now. I want to have time to think about writing, about what I've read, about my family, and about God. I want more time spent on the abstract and less on the concrete. I also want my time less consumed with social media and TV. 

So when I stumbled upon the 30 Day Minimalism Challenge on Into Mind I knew that is what I needed to do to help reset my mind and habits. I highly encourage you to join me in this journey. I will be starting tomorrow (why wait for a Monday or beginning of a month?).

Each Friday I will be doing a recap on the previous weeks tasks and how I did. There is no failing with this challenge. Just a chance to evaluate and be more mindful of the things taking up space in your life.

Will you be joining me in this challenge? Let me know in the comments if you are! 


2 comments:

  1. I'm joining in! A little late, but better than not :)
    Cara @ For the Greater Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you are joining in!

      Delete

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...