Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Grace



I have never been one for New Year's Resolutions or yearly goals. New Year's Resolutions feel so cliche and yearly goals... well they are the worst for a perfectionist procrastinator. If I set a goal for the year I will put it off because that is who I am. And then by December I will see this list of goals that I haven't accomplished and all the sudden decide I MUST COMPLETE THEM ALL! Because behind this procrastinator facade is actually a perfectionist who wants to do things right and also really hates losing (my competitive spirit).

I have heard of people picking a word that will be their word of the year, a word that will guide you through the year. Doesn't a word that is your touchstone sound absolutely lovely? You can't break a word like a resolution. You can't have a cheat day from a word. Your word doesn't focus on the number on the scale, your pant size, job promotions, or how many things you can check off your bucket list. I feel like picking a word for the year is pressure-free, but still helps you have focus on the year to come.

In an attempt to make sure I am growing as a woman, as a mom, as a wife, and as a person I have decided to select I word that embodies what I need, what I want, what I want to be, and what I think the world could use a little more of. The word I have chosen for 2016 is Grace.

In the past I only thought of grace in terms of God's grace. Don't get me wrong, I am literally eternally thankful for the grace God has given me. That in spite of my shortcomings, imperfections, and natural inclination towards sin God has loved me enough to extend me grace in the form of his son dying for me. That there is nothing I have done, will do, or could think of doing that makes me deserving of His Grace.

But since becoming a mom I have started viewing grace in a broader sense. Daily I am reminding myself to give myself a little grace. That these expectations and picture of perfection I have conjured up in the mind are a little far-fetched. That some days good enough is really good enough. I do not have to be perfect, to have it all together, to have it all figured out.

I am currently reading Jen Hatmaker's new book "For the Love" and there is a quote at the beginning that I absolutely love "Folks who thrive in God's grace give grace easily." If God has shown grace to me then I should be able to show a little grace to myself. And you know what else? That grace extends to the people in my life.

So one of my friends didn't wish me happy birthday? Guess what- here's a little grace because I know you've been overwhelmed with work. Daniel didn't take the trash out? Here is a sprinkle of grace! Someone in my family didn't behave the way I think they should? You get some grace, you get some grace, GRACE FOR EVERYONE!

I believe in having standards for people and I am not saying lower your expectations. But I am saying extend a little forgiveness and grace to other's when they are not meeting your unknown expectations. Maybe our friends, family, and loved ones don't deserve that grace because they have burned us too many times. But I know that I don't deserve an ounce of the grace God has given me. I have cursed him, stop attending church, not loved my neighbor, and some many other sins. But he has never turned me away.

Grace y'all. Let's give ourselves and every one else a little bit of it this year.

What is your word for 2016? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...