Monday, November 23, 2015

Day of Rest


I don't know about you, but I'm an all or nothing kind of person. Some weeks are filled to the brim with play-dates, volunteering, adventures, and go, go go. Other weeks I wake up and it is Thursday and we haven't left the house and we are still in pjs at 4:00pm.

Those lazy weeks, I feel guilty. I feel like I am not giving enough to Landry and that I'm lazy. However, when you go nonstop sometimes you crash and burn.

So what to do? I recently read Jamie's post on Taking a Stay at Home Style day Off. Essentially, you schedule yourself a day of rest every day. This concept of scheduling a down day completely blew my mind! So simple but something I had never really considered! I never thought to preemptively plan to have a day to rest, instead I usually wait till I am sick and run down and literally have to take a day of rest.

2 weeks ago I took my first a "day off". I gave myself permission to rock the leggings as pants, wear a messy top-knot, and not leave the house. Instead of making elaborate meals we simply had sandwiches. Instead of running to play groups, story times, or to a nearby park, we played in the yard and in the house.

It was so nice. I didn't have to worry about laundry sitting in the washing machine too long while we were gone, I didn't worry about nap-time working with what we had scheduled or planned for the day.  I was able to get some things done around the house (but without a checklist or feeling pressure to complete a certain amount of things).

Most weeks my "day of rest" is going to be on Mondays. Weekends are usually busy with us running around and doing things, so having a down day on Mondays is perfect. I am trying very hard to guard this day. No scheduling activities, play-dates, or visits from family or friends. Having Monday be my rest day really sets me up for a week of success. I feel more put together and ready to tackle everything we have going on the rest of the week.

The most liberating part for me is the decision to not leave the house on this day. Most days I feel like I need to be going and doing things with Landry so I make sure she is getting stimulation and social interaction. But it can take so much out of me (especially with my introverted tendencies) so leave the house every day and make small talk with other moms and find new ways to entertain a toddler.

Instead, I am filling our rest days with lots of reading books, cooking together, watching Daniel Tiger (GASP... TV), and unstructured play. I am taking the time while Landry naps to maybe do a little light cleaning, blogging, or watching Netflix. Pretty much our day is structured around what we feel like doing, not what we feel like we should be doing.

I give you permission to find your own day of rest and cling to it! That day might look different from mine. You might wake up and go to work but then not make any plans for after work and order take out and sit in your sweats. Or your day of rest might be going hiking or visiting with friends you rarely see. You day of rest is about what you WANT to do and what leaves you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.

What makes you feel refreshed and rejuvenated? Do you have a set aside day of rest? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...