Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Apple Picking

How was everyone's nice long weekend? Any big plans? We spent our weekend hitting up the Catawba Science Center on Saturday, church Sunday, and Monday we went apple picking at Apple Hill Orchard! I thought I would share some of our pictures from our morning of apple picking.


We love getting apples from Apple Hill Orchard at our local farmer's market so when I found out that their orchard is only 7 miles from our house I decided we had to go! I'm going to be honest... I wish we had waited for it to cool down some more. It was really hot and I dumbly wore long-sleeve flannel so I was a sweaty mess. I also don't think we were prepared for the ground to be so uneven and hilly so Daniel definitely got his work out in pulling Landry in the wagon. 

However, the prices on the apples were incredible and we got some delicious homemade apple cider slushies which helped cool us down a little. Landry also LOVED them. Apple Hill also has a little country store with all kinds of apple baked goods. They do wagon rides for the families too but we thought Landry was a little young to stay still and enjoy it. 

Daniel's first apple picked! We are big red delicious fans in this house so that's where we started! We loved getting to pick our own size apples too, that way we could get some tinier ones for Landry and less would be wasted.

Landry stealing one of our slushies. They were delicious and I rarely let Landry have sweet treats so it made the day extra special for her.



They had helpful signs posted around the orchard to help lead you to the different varieties. Thank goodness because I am not an apple connoisseur so I would have had no way of knowing what kinds the different apples were if they weren't labeled.  


Landry enjoyed the wagon ride around the orchard. It was so nice that they provide the wagons free of charge for the people visiting. It makes it so much easier with a little one that wants to run around and eat all the rotten apples that have fallen to the ground.




I just love this picture of these two. They're the best.


Naturally Landry had to taste test along the way. I apologized profusely to the guy when we went to pay for what we had picked. He said it was no problem it happens a lot with the little ones. I thought it was so fitting we took Landry to an apple orchard this weekend. Story time at the library this past week was about an apple orchard and we read an apple book, sang apple songs, and even did painting with apples (Landry tried to eat the paint covered apple so it didn't really work for us)





Not gonna lie, I've never heard of Jonagold apples but the guy told us they were some of the crispest apples they had so we picked several. I haven't tried them yet but I hope they are delicious!


Landry did not want to take a picture with her dad, so I didn't even attempt one with me. It's ok, she still had a blast. 

Overall, the morning did go as I expected (SO HOT) but Landry had a good time and we got some tasty apples. I'm hoping we can make this an annual tradition (except maybe wait till October). I really think Landry will enjoy it the older she gets. I love getting to support a local farm in our community. 

Have you ever been apple picking? What should I make with some of the apples? 

1 comments:

  1. You could make an "apple crisp", or pie or cobbler......recipes abound online. LOVE that you did this and LOVE all the pics. Glad you were able to go to church and praying that you will find one which meets your family's needs. Love and miss you, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...