Thursday, July 30, 2015

What I've Learned in My First Year of Motherhood


Landry turns 1 tomorrow!!! I can't believe this time last year I was getting ready to head to the hospital to be induced (Landry was 11 days past her due date). Next week I will share Landry's 1 year update and a recap of her birthday party (her party is Sunday so more family could attend). I've decided to share some of the things I've learned during my first year of motherhood. This week is not all inclusive and I'm definitely not saying I've learned it all. I am a constant work in progress, as a person and as a mom.

1. Google is Not Your Friend.
I am notorious googler. Anything I wonder or don't have an answer to I just google it. Unfortunately as a new mom the ease of googling is not a good thing. Instead of trusting my own instincts I would google what to do about anything related to Landry. I swear it increased my anxiety and made me feel like I was doing nothing right. Also everyone's opinions online contradict one another which makes everything even more confusing. Once I started trusted my instincts and began realizing I have to do what's right for my child I started feeling a lot more confident and natural as a mom.

2. Getting Out of The House is Necessary.
When I first started staying home with Landry I would rarely leave the house except maybe to meet Daniel for lunch. I was terrified of going out with Landry by myself and her possibility having a breakdown. Once I got over my fear and started getting out, even just to walk around TJ Maxx, I felt so much more human and I think Landry benefited too. Before Landry could walk we would take a blanket to the park and just people watch and hang out. It was a nice change of pace and a little vitamin D never hurt anyone!

3. Finding Other Moms is Important.
I've learned this but have only begun to work on it. I think this is what I've struggled the most with. Most of my friends are not moms and the ones that are work full-time. I really want to make more connections with moms. I have met one mom who I really got along with so I hope to stay connected with her.

4. Time Speeds Up.
Remember when you were a kid and it felt like each day was never-ending? Yeah well now time is going in fast forward! One of my favorite quotes about motherhood is "The days are long, but the years short." It sounds so cliche and before I had my daughter I probably rolled my eyes when seasoned moms would share that tidbit with me. But now I get it. Some days it seems like it will never get to 5:15pm when Daniel walks through that door but I look back and can't believe a year has passed already. I literally broke down crying the other night to Daniel because I just felt like time is slipping away.

5. Children Take a Toll on Marriage.
I wrote before about how a baby changes everything when it comes to marriage. I love Landry so much but she has really changed things in our marriage. Things were pretty smooth sailing before she was born, but we are still figuring out our new normal as a couple that now are parents. A lot of the activities we enjoyed pre-baby we haven't been able to do (kayaking being a big one). Me becoming a stay-at-home mom has also changed some of the dynamics of our relationship which has meant another adjustment. Slowly but surely we are figuring things out.

6. Motherhood is an Adventure. 
There is so many things that motherhood is, it's exhausting, rewarding, guilt-inducing, draining, uplifting, funny, etc. But most of all it is an adventure. Every day I am learning more about Landry, more about Daniel, more about myself, and more about God. Adventures are scary and fun, as is motherhood. It is terrifying to know I am in charge of raising and helping shape a human being. But it is so much fun too! I get to experience childhood all over again but it's even better!

Here are some pasts posts that show my feelings about motherhood this past year. Feel free to check them out: The Same, The Fog, Sick Days, A Different Kind of Hard, Why We're Only Having One Child

1 comments:

  1. oh Lord, Google is NOT your friend. I spent so many nights googling baby-related questions and I cannot think of a single helpful thing I learned at 3 AM. Can't wait to read about Landry's birthday party!

    ReplyDelete

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...