Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Slow Down


Daniel would be the first to tell you that I have a tendency to live life in fast forward. I constantly tell him to hurry up, as if we are on this none existent time-table that only exists in my head. Just yesterday morning I made Daniel's lunch and I asked him why it usually takes so long. He simply replied "I like to take my time." 

I am not really a "take my time", "stop and smell the roses" kind of person. I like to go, to do, to stay busy. When my calendar fills up with obligations, with people to see, things to accomplish I feel like I have a purpose. Even if it stresses me out and takes my energy. I thrive on it. But here's the thing, a baby slows you down. Landry has no desire to constantly be on the go. Many times she enjoy me just laying in the floor with her talking as she plays. 

And I feel guilty, I feel like I need to be doing something. Actively teaching her, arranging play-dates, taking time for museums and science centers. Not that there is anything wrong with those things. But I have to keep reminding myself to slow down. 

Enjoy these lazy afternoons reading books in her teepee, snuggling each other and her stuffed animals. Enjoy these times where I can watch her quietly play and then she crawls over with a book she wants me to read. Enjoy these slow times where we read the same book five times in a row because Landry just can't get enough. 

As much as I want to rush through things so that I feel accomplished, I have to remind myself to enjoy this slow season in our life. One day bedtimes will not be 7:30pm, there will be no naps, and there will not be lazy afternoons in the teepee. One day our days will be filled with school for Landry, work for me, sport practices, club meetings, and long hours at work for Daniel. 

I am trying to cherish these slow moments and learn to be present in them. I give you permission today to kick up your feet and enjoy some extra play time by yourself or with the ones you love. 

How do you slow down and quit rushing through life? 


8 comments:

  1. Can I do that tomorrow evening in Charleston. Till then I have to go go go.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily you will get to have a little more relaxing time in Charleston! Tell Bonnie hey for us!

      Delete
  2. I love this! I am the same way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same personality type! It's a really good skill to practice, though: slowing down. A few months ago I began having a really tough time. My 4-year-old daughter was in a phase of severe tantrums and my 1-year-old son was sick a lot. I was honestly not enjoying motherhood very much and started to build up negative feelings toward my children and was even considering therapy to deal with them - not good!

    I had a "come to Jesus" talk with my mother-in-law and she was very honest with me that I was putting too much pressure on myself to accomplish goals and be productive and it wasn't leaving me with enough mental energy for my real priorities! It was hard to hear but so true. I've adjusted and simplified and we are all much happier now. I hope you never have to go through that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled with not enjoying motherhood as much during the newborn stage. I felt so much pressure (that I was putting on myself). I feel like the longer I am doing it the more mellow I am becoming. Which is a good thing, I can be high strung.

      I'm so glad your mother-in-law could help. I would imagine two young one could definitely put on the extra pressure!

      Delete
  4. Please enjoy EVERY moment of Landry's young life as it is SO fleeting. The time will come when she will not want to snuggle, have you read to her, and she won't be so dependent on you. I am SO glad that you are able to be a stay at home Mom during her formative years. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane!! I am continuously thankful that God has given me this opportunity. I will never regret this special time that I have with her!

      Delete

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...