Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wonderful Web Round Up- Mental Health Edition


Did you know May is Mental Health Awareness month? I know some of you might think "that doesn't affect me, I don't have any mental health issues." Well first off mental health issues are not always the "big" things. It is anxiety, depression, ADHD, etc. And if you personally don't struggle with any of those conditions, then congrats! I'm jealous! But you know someone that does. 1 in 5 Americans will have a diagnosable mental health condition in any given year. It could be your mom, your brother, your cousin, your spouse, your best friend, your co-worker. Someone you know is suffering.

This week for Wonderful Web Round-Up I am focusing on articles, blog posts, videos from around the web that focus on mental health. Learn more, educate yourself. If not to help yourself then to help others.

Below is Mental Health America's campaign video for this year's mental health month. The theme of their campaign is B4Stage4- helping people before their condition gets too severe. Watch below.



This post from Kendi is not a new one but one that I constantly look at as a source of inspiration when it comes to being open about struggles I have faced.

Buzzfeed is great at breaking things down into quick digestible information. 13 Shocking Facts that Show How Widespread Mental Illness is in the US.

Go read Nicole from Writes Like a Girl entire blog! She is incredibably intelligent, stylish, and someone I just want to be friends with. She opens up through out her blog about her struggles with anxiety and depression. Here are a few examples: Normalcy, Mental Health is Always in Style.

I have suffered from depression since I was 13 so it is an issue that is near and dear to my heart. Here are 8 Warning Signs of Depression You Shouldn't Ignore. A must read!

If you have never read the blog Yes and Yes check it out! Sarah writes about all sort of interesting things. I love her True Story series where she interviews people. She has done several interviews with people who have mental health conditions. I Have Depression, I'm Bi-Polar, I have Panic Attacks are just a few.



2 comments:

  1. Tks. for sharing this, Brit.....peeps don't realize that mental illness is just as serious, if not more, than physical illness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane I completely agree! Some many people think that mental illness is just an excuse, is a broken leg an excuse? Is heart disease any excuse? No it isn't and neither is mental illness. I would love for our country to have a better understanding of mental illness.

      Delete

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...