Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Skin Care Routine



Neither one of these photos are altered or filtered. It's just what my face looks like at night after completely my skin care routine (please disregard the tired eyes, dark circles. It's the mom life.)

For as long as I can remember I have gotten compliments on my skin. I have to say for the longest time I was lucky to have cooperative skin. I didn't have to work at it for it to look healthy. Since college my skin has started requiring serious attention and time. Now when people compliment my skin my husband always remarks "She spends enough time on it!" I would say I spend more time on my skin care routine than I ever would/do on makeup. A lot of days I do not even have to wear makeup (not to be braggy).


Here is my skin care arsenal. There are a few other products I might play with here and there when I get my Birchbox samples but these are my staples! I have linked to each product at the end of the post.

Every night I use Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser. I love it because it leaves my face feeling clean without making my skin tight or drying it out. It is also a huge bottle that I have been using for almost a year! It lasts forever! 

Two times a week I switch out my cleanser for Vasanti Brighten Up! which is an incredible exfoliator that I discovered through Birchbox. In high school and college I used St. Ives but as I've gotten older I realized it was too harsh on my skin. Vasanti is gentler but gets the job done.  

Once a week after cleansing I use Juice Beauty's Green Apple Peel for Sensitive Skin. This is another Birchbox find. It truly has helped even out my skin tone and help control my acne. My face always looks so fresh after using it and my pores disappear! I would NOT get the full strength. I do not have sensitive skin but the full strength HURTS and makes my face red. The sensitive is where it's at! 

As it gets warmer out I start adding toner back into my routine. I do not use it much in the winter because it dries my skin out. I do not buy fancy toner. Instead I take a dropper bottle and fill half of it up with apple cider vinegar and half water. I just put a little bit on a cotton ball and I'm good to go. Apple Cider Vinegar really helps to balance the ph of my skin and helps fade acne scars. 

When my face is drier some nights I will use Dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid, followed by Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream. Again Birchbox find! They were lifesavers this past winter when nothing else has helped my dry skin on my chin. Luckily with it warmer out I am not having to use this but once a week.

Every other night I use my homemade face oil as my nightly moisturizer. My face oil is made up of jojoba oil, tamanu oil, tea tree oil, and lavender oil. It helps control my acne and moisturizes without leaving my face feeling greasy or sticky. 

The nights that I don't use my homemade face oil I use coconut oil. I find my face responds best to a little variety in my facial moisturizers so I like to just switch it up. Also coconut oil is a GREAT eye make up remover. I just put a little on my eyelids and use a cotton ball to wipe it away. Works wonders! 

Finally I have just added an eye cream to my routine. Right now I am sampling Lancome's High Resolution Eye Cream. I have noticed more even skin tone around my eyes but the main purpose of this eye cream is to help with wrinkles. Not as much as a issue at this point but taking preventative measures cannot hurt! I am not a 100% in love so after I finish it up I will probably try something new. I would really love something to help with the dark circles under my eyes (besides getting adequate amounts of sleep). 

I know it kind of sounds like a lot at night to do but in the morning I really do nothing, besides putting my makeup on. I do not wash my face in the morning or add another moisturizer. It really works for me! I would rather put in the extra time at night and not have to get up early in the morning ;) 

Products Mentioned:

What's your skin care routine? Any suggestions on eye creams or getting rid of dark circles? 






2 comments:

  1. Hi, Brittany! Your skin looks amazing! I am in search of a full skin regimen that will help rejuvenate my skin and delay signs of aging and I came across your blog. How long have you been doing this skin care regimen for? I'm in my early thirties and I'm worried it might be too late but I think it still is worth a shot given the right products. I will also look into the products that you recommended because I officially have skin-envy. LOL. Oh, and how much time to you actually spend on caring for your skin? The fact that you don't really do much in the morning is awesome because even without a multiple-step skin care ritual, I sometimes am late for work. Thanks for reading my comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have beautiful skin! I have my own nightly ritual myself, and it helps keep my skin smooth and silky. Your face probably feels lighter since you don’t have to wear makeup like you would if you were to just let the face go without treating it in any way. Thanks for sharing this.

    William Connors @ The Healing Station

    ReplyDelete

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...