Friday, March 27, 2015

Texas Style Council '15 Recap

Transformative, Inspirational, Uplifting, Encouraging, Fun- those are just a few of the words I would use to describe this past weekend at Texas Style Council (TxSC). It was more than I could have imagined. I thought I might walk away with a few tips for creating a better blog and maybe a couple of connections. Instead, I walked away with tips for creating a better life and so many great friends.

I have never felt so immediately connected with a group of ladies. And I have definitely never felt so comfortable with people I just met to share my passions, hopes, and struggles with them. But I did just that.

Ok let me start at the beginning, Camp Texlake was gorgeous. It's a Girl Scout Camp outside of Austin that TxSC took over for the weekend. Sadly it rained Friday and Saturday but Sunday before leaving I was able to enjoy the beautiful camp. Below are some pictures of the beautiful scenery:








I flew into Austin Friday and met up with some of the girls taking the shuttle to the camp at the airport. Right there I should have know this weekend would be awesome because we all immediately bonded!

The weekend was filled with fantastic speakers and workshops. One of my personal favorites was hearing Bethany Joy Clark who is the director of global customer engagement and community for TOMS. Anyone who knows me, knows my love of TOMS. They are pretty much my go-to shoes all year long.

Photo Credit: Chelsea Laine Francis

Bethany is the one who introduced us to the term friendtors, people who are your friends but also your mentors. She also discussed finding women in your life that are your champions. Women that are for you, they will move mountains for you! She also discussed TOMS and their business model. TOMS considers themselves "a mission with a company, instead of a company with a mission." Right there is the reason I am a supporter (that's what they call customers) of TOMS. 

Bethany also was our personal Oprah! At the end of her talk she had the volunteers come in and hand out TOMS bags to every one! It was fantastic and we were all pretty much in shock. 


Some of the free goodies from the weekend. Including my now beloved TOMS bag, which by-the-way makes a fantastic diaper bag! For every bag purchased TOMS will help provide a safe birth for a mom and her baby. Just typing that sentence brought me to tears.


TOMS also provided the coffee for the weekend. I had never tried their coffee before but after this weekend I am a fan. I probably drank at least 5 cups a day. And for each bag of coffee they sell a week of safe drinking water is provided. I love it when my coffee addiction helps others!


I also want to say a HUGE thank you to Jenny from Maiedae. I had a one-on-one session with her to go over the design of my blog and she was so helpful and a sweetheart! You can tell she just has a love for people! And I am a little bit of a fangirl (check out her wonderful prints) so it was extra exciting to get to work with her. 





There was definitely tears through out the weekend for me and some true soul searching, but there was also tons of laughing and having a blast. On Saturday night we had a Khaki Jamboree which was a giant party with tons of photo-booths and a chance to play dress up! Also to let the world know, right before heading back to my cabin I got called into the dance circle and danced. Yeah I am shocked I did it but proud of myself for getting out of my comfort zone. 

One more thing I want to share. The very last activity we did was the Tunnel of Sisterhood.

Photo Credit: Miranda Anderson

We were divided into 3 groups and then put into two lines facing each other. Then one camper at a time, with their eyes closed, would walk down the middle while the other campers whispered words of encouragement to her. The purpose behind the activity is to help women combat the negative self-talk so many of us have, to teach us to take the positive compliments. So basically I was a bundle of tears from the moment they said what we would be doing.

As soon as the activity was over I took some time to myself to journal and write down some of the words that really stood out. Beautiful, full of life, authentic, good mother are just of thew few words spoken to me. I am really hard on myself and have really struggled with self-esteem issues my whole life. I don't always think I am worthy, that I am beautiful, but I keep those list of words as a reminder. And over time I hope those words will replace "I'm not good enough", "I'm not pretty enough". 



I met so many fantastic ladies and this is just a portion of them. They inspire me and challenge me to do and be my best. It was hard having to say goodbye to such lovely ladies. 

I also want to say a HUGE thank to Indiana Adams for all the time, energy, money, dedication and so much more she has put into TxSC over the years. This year was perfect and I truly felt the sisterhood. It's exactly what this new mom needed. I needed a time to be uplifted and told that my why matters. I can't thank you enough! 

There is so much I am leaving out but stay tuned for some posts that are inspired by the workshops I attended and a few of the other speakers!

In the mean time check out some of these wonderful ladies' blogs/businesses:

Maddie- Folk Dreams
Hilary- Cutie Cameras
Michelle- Calligraphy Cult
Mandy- Hello Daisy

There are so many other fabulous ladies to check out! If you instagram or use twitter look up the #txsc15 to find out more about the weekend and the ladies in attendance! 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely weekend. Sad to hear it's the last one. I want to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that is was the last one! It was amazing and great for women even if they don't own a business or blog. There was several girls I met there who didn't blog!

      Delete
  2. I want to go back!!! Lovely recap. I still need to do mine. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read your recap! I miss CAMP so much and reading everyone's recaps helps me relive it! haha

      Delete

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...