Thursday, March 5, 2015

Life Happened



Yesterday I was talking on the phone with one of my best friends. We were discussing our other best friend and how impressed we are with where she is in her life. We can't believe what a savvy, independent, business woman she has turned into. We couldn't have predicted it 3 years ago when we walked across that stage.

None of our lives are what we have dreamed of. 

See, my entire senior year (2nd senior year in all honesty) I talked about moving to Washington, DC. Daniel and I would move there and I would go to graduate school. I got into George Washington, got an assistantship that would help pay for school, Daniel was interviewing for jobs, we hunted for apartments. And just like that I changed my mind. I couldn't go through with it. I had dreamed of moving away from North Carolina and to a big city and I just couldn't do it. 

Fast forward 3 years and I am now living in a smaller town than I ever thought I would, 25 minutes from a Target! And I am a stay-at-home mom! My friend said she thought I would be in DC as a lobbyist or something by now. 

Sometimes I worry people think I have given up on my dreams, or compromised for the sake of marriage. And sometimes I worry that other people don't think that but that I do. But you know what? Since I can remember I have dreamed of being married to an amazing man, having a daughter, and living our little lives. I have dreamed of pursuing all different kinds of careers, of living all different types of places. But the only constant has been my desire to be a wife and mother. 

Probably by now you are wondering where this is going... I guess all of this is to say that I am ok where I am. My mantra lately has been from the wonderful Amy Poehler "Good for her! Not for me". I am really trying to remember that what's good for someone else isn't necessarily for me. I hope we can all remember that mantra (isn't Amy Poehler a genius??). 

Are you where you want to be? What did you think you would be doing after college? Are you ever jealous of your friends lives even if that isn't what you really want? 

4 comments:

  1. Love this! I had no idea what I was going to do after college, but definitely didn't expect to be doing what I am. Crazy things happen when you are open to a different path that wasn't what you planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy to look at where all our lives are now. But it's also so nice because I feel like everyone is right where they are meant to be!

      Delete
  2. Yes, Yes, and YES!
    I feel like I'm constantly looking at other people's lives and being jealous of it even though I don't even want that myself! But it's like I wish I was the girl that people looked at and were jealous of? How awful? &I too am constantly thinking about my life and what I thought I would be doing vs. what I am doing. There is so much pressure out there! Goodness Gracious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree Lydia! The crazy thing is a lot of the pressure out there is pressure I put on myself and that is probably the same for most people! It's so hard not to fall into the comparison trap or the "supposes tos" and "shoulds". It really does require effort to be happy where you are.

      Delete

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...