Friday, March 20, 2015

Clean Chicken Parmesan (minus the Parmesan)


In no way am I a world class cook and as a family we eat out more than we should. But I thought I would share with y'all a delicious dinner I made Daniel, Landry (yes Landry ate everything I made!) and me the other night. We are huge pasta fans but unfortunately it really isn't the healthiest option in the world. So I came up with a healthy/paleo/clean Chicken "Parmesan" recipe. Here's a little secret, there is no parmesan.

I started by making my sauce because I wanted to give it as long as I could to simmer. I just feel like it brings out the flavors more if it sits longer (by the way my recipe makes enough sauce to have some to freeze).

Below is the ingredients and instructions for making the sauce, the "parmesan" chicken, and the "noodles". I've also included step-by-step pictures for us visual learners out there!


Sauce Ingredients:


Coconut Oil- 2 Tbps
Garlic- 5 cloves minced
Onion- 1 medium diced
Tomato Paste- 1 can (6 oz)
Crushed Tomatoes- 1 can (28 oz)
Tomato Sauce- 1 can (8 oz)
Diced Tomatoes- 1 can (14.5 oz)
Water- 1 cup
Dried Parsley- 2 tsps
Dried Bay Leaves- 1 tsp
Dried Oregano- 3 tsps
Salt- 3 tsps
Crushed Red Pepper- 2 tsps


Instructions:

  1. Turn your stove to high and in large sauce pan place your coconut oil.
  2. Add your garlic and onion and sauté for roughly 5 minutes. 
  3. Turn your stove down to low and add your remaining ingredients.
  4. Once you have added all your ingredients turn your stove back to hot until your sauce begins to boil. 
  5. Place lid on sauce pan and turn the stove to simmer and leave for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.







"Parmesan" Chicken Ingredients:




2 Chicken Breasts
Nutritional Yeast*- 1 Tbsp
Coconut Flour- 1 Tbsp
Mayonaise- 1/2 Tbsp per chicken breast


Instructions:

  1. Pre-heat your over to 400°F
  2. Use your Misto** to spray your pan with olive oil (or butter your pan whatever your preference). I line my pan with aluminum foil for easier clean up but it's not necessary. Place chicken on pan.
  3. Next mix your nutritional yeast and coconut flour. 
  4. Take 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise (I use homemade mayo) and coat your chicken breast. Repeat with other chicken breast.
  5. Next sprinkle roughly 1 tsp of your nutritional yeast and coconut flour mixture on your chicken breast. Repeat with the other chicken breast.
  6. Place in oven for 30 minutes.






Noodle Ingredients:
Zucchini- 1 Large
Carrots- 3 Small Carrots
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste


Instructions:

  1. Wash your veggies!
  2. Take your julienne peeler*** and peel all your vegetables.
  3. Turn the stove to hot and place pan on stove. Spray some olive oil into the pan.
  4. Once the pan seems hot place your veggies.
  5. Sauté your veggies for roughly 5 minutes.
  6. Remove and serve! 





I placed my chicken on top of the noodles and then covered them in sauce. 


Tada! You have a healthy, clean meal for you and your family. I love this recipe because there will be extra sauce and you can freeze it to use for things later. Homemade pizza, regular spaghetti, even in chili!

I made a side-salad to go along with our meal. I know it's not a pretty presentation but presentation has never been my strong suit. I am part of the "if it tastes good who cares what it looks like" club.





*Nutritional yeast is a type of yeast (not like baking yeast) that has a cheesy flavor to it. It is a healthy addition to recipes to give your food a nice flavor but also provide nutrition. It's gluten free, low in fat, and packed full of folic acid, zinc, protein, and b vitamins just to name a few. I buy mine at a local natural store but you can also find it here on Amazon

**I am obsessed with my Misto! It is a reusable oil sprayer so like PAM but without the waste of throwing cans away and the nasty chemicals. You just fill it up with your favorite oil (I use olive oil) and pump the lid then spray. I also love that it cuts down on me adding too much oil when I sauté vegetables. You can also add vinegars and use it for your salads. I highly recommend it! 

***Julienne Peeler is perfect for creating vegetable noodles. I know there is spiralizers now for vegetables but they are more expensive and take up so much room. This little thing takes up hardly any draw space and it's double sided with a regular peeler which is great. Highly recommend for creating veggie noodles! 

If you have any questions let me know! Do you have any clean versions of your favorite dishes? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...