Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Healthy Eats- Veggie Prep

Ok so before I was pregnant with Landry I lost around 40lbs. I wanted to be as healthy as possible for pregnancy so that hopefully everything would be fine.

I wanted to watch my weight during pregnancy but... well... you see... I didn't. I gained 45lbs :(



After Landry was born I lost around 20lbs. But then I went back to work. I worked at a doctor's office where we got free food/Starbucks/sweets from pharmaceutical representatives ALL the time. And I sat on my butt at my desk. So I gained 10lbs back! Ahhhh!

So now I've been a stay-at-home mom for 4 months and I haven't really lost any weight. I could name a bajillion reasons why I haven't but it comes down to I haven't made it a priority.

But in the last month or so Daniel and I have really decided to begin focusing again on our health (he gained pregnancy weight with me).

One of the steps that really helps me is cutting up a ton of veggies at the beginning of the week!

I am so much more likely to go for healthier options if I don't have to do that much prep. It also helps encourage us to eat at home because it doesn't take as long to prepare dinner.


I first fill the sink (freshly cleaned) with water and white vinegar. I then put all the veggies in there and wash them off as I pull them out to cut. 


Also make sure you have your sous chef on hand. But if your is a baby like mine then don't let them do any cutting. Thus labeling them an inefficient sous chef. But she's so cute so it's ok! 


Then I cut up my veggies! I use a cutting board and knife along with my mini food processor. Let me tell you about my mini food processor friends! It is the best darn thing since the immersion blender (don't EVEN get me started on the amazingness that is a immersion blender). 


Ta-Da! Marvel at all the pretty veggies in a rainbow of colors! I got some tomatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, zucchini, onions, and bell peppers cut up. Perfect for a variety of meals! 

So what tricks to you have for healthier eating? Any quick meal tips? 

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! I always try to keep snacks in baggies in the fridge for easy access. I portion out nuts, jerky, veggies, cheese, etc. so if I get hungry I can just grab it and go. Getting this pregnancy weight off has been quite the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey great idea!! On-the-go eating is definitely something I struggle with. Pre-portioning in baggies would definitely help!!

      Delete
  2. The easiest thing for me after my first baby was just going and exploring. I would stick my son in the strOlder and walk for hOurs without realizing it. I also drank my weight in Green Tea. Unsweetened of course. As a Yankee- I'm not with the southern sweet tea trend... If you drink at least a liter of green tea a day you will notice a huge difference! That and bringing a bottle of water before each meal Or snack!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely trying to up my water consumption. I've read that a lot of times we are not actually hungry but thirsty instead! So I've been trying to drink 64+ ozs a day. I will have to try green tea too!

      Delete

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...