Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Almost 5 years later...

In 80 days I will be graduating from college, which is absolutely crazy in my mind! I have been in college for 5 years- that is longer than anytime I have spent at one school except elementary school!!

Naturally as the time comes closer and closer I keep thinking back to the time I have had at Lenoir-Rhyne. And let me tell you- it has been a wild ride! I have changed as a person, my goals for life has changed, my friendships have changed and pretty much nothing as turned out the way I thought it would.

So over these last few months at Lenoir-Rhyne I am going to post some different reflections about my time in college.

Today I am starting with what brought me to Lenoir-Rhyne, Teaching Fellows.



I came to LR because I wanted to be a high school history teacher and had received the Teaching Fellows scholarship. My first senior year I quit the program because I finally admitted what I had always known... I didn't want to be a teacher.

With that being said I have had some great memories through out my time in Teaching Fellows and made some amazing friends! Below are some of the experiences that stick out in my mind.


My first set of suitemates. This was from our freshmen retreat before school even started. We look so young!


Alternative Spring Break my sophomore year will forever be one of the best experiences I ever had in college. We went to Clay County Florida (right near St. Augustine) and worked with Habitat for Humanity. It really bonded the group and who doesn't feel better after helping someone? 

Right before starting my junior year I volunteered at Camp Freespirit for a week. It is a horse camp for children with disabilities. The lady was kind of crazy that owned the camp but the TFs from other schools were awesome and we had a blast. I also slept in a tent for a week which was a new experience for me!


One of the last things I did with TF was our trip to Europe after my junior year. We flew into Amsterdam and went to the Van Gogh Museum and Anne Frank's house. It was such a surreal experience going to the Anne Frank home. To see the bookcase that hide where she was and her family. To walk through and think about what she went through.

We then took a bus ride into Germany and first went to Cologne. It was a beautiful city and we even went to the chocolate museum! We then went to Stendal which is a small college town that was so quaint and adorable. We stayed with German students in their lofts which was a great experience. From Stendal we went to Berlin which naturally was fascinating. Seeing the remnants of the Berlin Wall and taking pictures with it was amazing!

It was a great trip and something that would have never happened in my life if it had not been for the TF program!


Overall, the most vivid memories I have from TF is the friendships I have made and the random fun times. From Karaoke at the Christmas party to the blanket game to crazy times during seminar. It really helped to make my college experience more worthwhile!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Well Hello there! Let's continue the conversation...